Wednesday, December 19, 2012

" Orange, Raisins and Walnut Cookies "


Weather has started being harsh here. Leaves have turned to yellow and started falling. Even it snowed on 14th December while usually it comes around in the end of January. People get home early and with the end of yatra season roads take a deserted look early in the evening. This season makes me naturally sad and lonely since childhood. Some times when I see from my window I don’t see a single person. Snow on the peaks and trees reminds of harsh season which will continue till April. But let me remind you this harsh season brings one of the best fruits. Orange, the name itself brings a kind of joy to my soul. I love orange since the day I was introduced to this fruit. Whenever I see this tree on the roadside I get filled with new energy.


 I told someone to bring me a few oranges and see what he got me, almost 10 kgs of orange and it made me to think what I’ll do with them.


So the first thing came to my mind is to make some orange raisin and walnut cookies. The original recipes includes dried cranberry but where to get cranberries in joshimath so I replaced them with raisin and also with some walnuts. 


Ingredients 


Unsalted butter / vegetable oil - 100g 

Demerara sugar – 120 gms 
All purpose flour – 150 gms 
Egg – 1 Large 
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp 
Soda bicarbonate - 1/4 tsp 
Salt - ¼ tsp 
Raisins – 1 handful 
Walnut – 1 handful 
Orange Zest – 1 tsp 
Orange juice – 2 tbsp 

Method

1. In a bowl soften the butter and add sugar then whisk until creamy and fluffy. 

2. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix in. 

3. Add orange zest and juice and mix. 

4. Stir in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. 

5. Add in the raisins and walnuts and mix well. 

6. Grease a baking tray or u can use baking paper. With the help of a spoon place the mixture     
     on the greased tray. Don’t over crowd the tray as they need space to spread (6 in one    
     tray). 

7. Bake them at a temperature of 180°C until the edges are golden (around 12-15 minutes 
     purely depends on your oven). Remove cookies from the oven and cool them on a wire 
     cooling rack. 

    The cookies will be crisp up once they are cool and have a soft, chewy centre.

    Enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment