Tuesday, July 09, 2013

" Plum Pickle "



Now a days markets are full of these luscious red beauties. I love plums, they have a tangy taste bit sweet and bit sour. I wanted to use these plumy juicy fruits in something, and that something I didn’t know. But guess that’s me wild, crazy and can go up to any extent while doing experiments and now a days I’m just in a spree of making chutney, jam or pickles. I saw this recipe and instantly I wanted to experiment with it. Plum pickle with all these spices has some sour and different taste and has a differently strong flavour so you may or may not like it. In my case, it has been liked by most of the people. I’ve minimally adapted this recipe from this beautiful blog ‘love food eat’. After making this I’m thinking to make sweet and sour chutney/ jam of plums.







Ingredients


Plums - 500 gms

Salt – 4 to 5 tbsp (original recipe have sea salt)

Sugar – 5 tbsp (optional)

Red chilli powder – 2 tbsp

Dry roasted mustard seeds – 1 tbsp (make fine powder)

Dry roasted fenugreek seeds - ½ tsp (make fine powder)

Asafoetida powder - ½ tsp

Method


1. Cut the plums into thin slices and remove their pits. Put them in a bowl and mix in salt and sugar and let it sit for 4-5 hrs (I kept overnight).

2. Next morning I added all the spices to the salted plums and gently mixed it well. The salt water in it will be sufficient to make a moist pickle.

Now transfer the pickle into clean, dry and sterilized glass jar. In 2 or 3 days the flavors will mature and develop with time. Store it in the refrigerator and enjoy with meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment