Saturday, July 06, 2013

" Potato Buns "





After all these years I wanted to bake my own bread and somehow my every effort goes in vain. I attempted at least thrice but I guess yeast is not my cup of tea except in Pizza. When a friend made potato buns I got really excited to see the outcome but then was scared a bit. Today also I wasn't sure that these buns will come out well and to my horror they didn't.  After seeing my frustration, my better half told me to try again and this time with small quantity just to give it another try. I reluctantly agreed to him and it came out well. I’m glad I listened to him otherwise it would've shattered my confidence in baking bread. 


Recipe source - versatile vegetarian Kitchen

Ingredients 

The Buns (for 4 buns)


All purpose flour - 1 cup

Dry yeast – 1 tsp

Water – as per requirement

Milk - 2 tbsp

Butter – 1 tbsp

Sugar - 2 Tsp

Salt – ½ tsp


Milk - 1 tbsp for milk wash


The Filling


I made fillings for 12 buns as per the original recipe

Boiled mashed potatoes - 3 large

Oil – as per requirement

Green chillies – 2 chopped

Salt - to taste

Turmeric powder – ½ tsp

Mustard seeds - 1 tsp

Curry leaves – 10 to 12


Method


For Filling 

1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Now add mustard seeds, once they splutter, add curry leaves and green chillies. When they are done, add turmeric powder.

3. Now add boiled potatoes and salt. Sauté it for few minutes.


  For Buns


1. Preheat oven at 175 degree Celsius. Line a baking tray with parchment or silicon mat.
2. In a bowl put warm water, sugar, salt and yeast. Leave it for about 5 minutes. 

3. Now add flour, milk and butter and make dough. Knead it well for 10 minutes.

4. Coat with a little bit oil all over the dough and cover and let it rise for about 45 minutes to an hour or till double in volume depending completely upon the weather of your area.
5. After that, punch down the dough really well. Divide the dough into 4 balls and let it rest covered for 10 minutes. 

6. Now take the ball, roll for a while and place the filling like one does in Aloo parathe (Indian flat bread) and cover it all around then roll it till smoothly in a bun shape.

7. Put the buns in the baking tray. Cover the baking tray with aluminium foil and let it rise in a warm place for about 40 - 45 minutes.

8. After 40 – 45 minutes brush the top of the buns with milk and bake them for 30 – 35 minutes till they are springy in touch.




These are ready to devour as evening snacks or anytime you can sneak in ;).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment