Saturday, April 05, 2014

" Homemade Pav or Buns "


Last night when I was browsing youtube videos, I watched this video in which a young guy (hardly of 15-16 yrs) made dinner buns or as we say Pav. It seems so easy to make. Naturally his Kitchen Aid made everything so easy for him but then the measurements he remembered and all things were so professional and perfect that it inspired me to bake these perfect buns and I’m glad I tried. I was so tempted to make these pav that I went out to bring milk in the scorching heat of Bijapur.



Me and yeast don’t have a good relationship, so I was a bit worried too, but then all my hard work and fear took a beautiful shape and came out perfectly. We ate it as our dinner with Bhaji( Pav bhaji) and it was the best, not because I made that, but because I knew what me and my family are eating. I guess this is the best thing about baking at home, you know what all goes into it. I am sure once you made these you are never going to have those store bought buns again in your life.


Recipe courtesy: Chefinyou

Ingredients


All purpose flour – 3 cups (little bit more for dusting)

Luke warm Milk – 1 ¼ cup

Yeast – 2 ¼ tsp

Sugar – 2 tbsp

Salt – 1 tsp

Butter – 3 tbsp

Luke warm water – ¼ cup

Method


1. Mix warm water and sugar in a bowl. Now add yeast into it and allow it get frothy.

2. In another bowl, mix milk and butter till the butter gets incorporated into it. Now add this milk and butter into the yeast mixture and stir well.

3. Now add flour and salt to this mixture and mix well.

4. Here comes the hard part, start kneading this dough with hands or your stand mixer for at least 10 minutes. Add flour if required. This mixture will turn into soft, springy and smooth dough and it will be least sticky. Now grease a bowl with some oil and put this dough into it and cover it with cling wrap.

5. Keep the dough at a warm place in your kitchen until it doubles. The dough will rise like anything and that’s the best sight.

6. Now punch the raised dough, roll it in square shape on a well dusted counter and cut into 12 pieces. Now roll each piece individually and put them side by side minding the 1 inch gap between them to rise again. It is absolutely fine if it is not perfectly round because it will rise again and get that perfect bun shape.


7. Now leave these small rolls to be doubled again for around half hour to 45 minutes.

8. Now in a pre-heated oven put these buns for baking at 170 degree Celsius for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Once the buns are baked they will become very light weight and fluffy.


One can brush butter for the glaze or if you are bit conscious about diet then eat as it is as I did. These rolls are just perfect for anything and everything. I made bhaji to accompany these lovely golden brown Pav or Buns. Yum!!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Looking soo good...Which oven you are having?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thnx sheena :)my oven is very small. bajaj platini 16ltrs only.... :)

      Delete