Saturday, July 26, 2014

" Churros [Chewros- thats how you pronounce it :)] "



Our 26th week fondbites, bake along was churros. Heard for the first time and I didn’t know how to pronounce it even, but the recipe looks so simple with few ingredients that I made it on the second day of the week. Which generally I kept on procrastinating and then at the end of the week, either I leave the recipe or bake it as late lateef. But this time I was on time and for that reason I’m very happy. Coming back to Churros, it is a choux pastry, which is simply fried till crispy and coated with sugar and sometimes it is served with melted chocolate. The outcome of this was so yummy that even I, who don’t have a sweet tooth couldn’t stop myself from munching on them. One thing I want to tell is consume it within few days. I don’t know how it does in air tight container but I kept few in a box for my better half and it turned out soggy. After making it I coated it with icing sugar instead of caster sugar, god knows from where I got confused with these two, but then also it didn’t affect the taste. The taste was crunchy outside and soft inside with sugar and a mild hint of cinnamon.

Ingredients


All purpose flour – 2 cups

Baking powder – 1 teaspoon

Olive oil – 2 tablespoons

Boiling water – 2 cups

Salt – 1/2 teaspoon

Vegetable oil for frying

For Coating


Caster sugar – 1/2 cup

Cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon (optional)

One can use cardamom powder also.

Method


1. In a bowl add flour, olive oil, salt and baking powder. Now add boiling water into it and with the help of an electric beater mix everything until well combined. You can also use wooden/ rubber spatula. Do not wait until it gets cold. Finish off the batter while it is hot.

2. Once it is bearable to touch fill the mixture into a piping bag (use any star nozzle). Fill the mixture up to 2/3rd of the bag.

3. Now heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan/ wok. Start piping directly into the hot oil, but fry on medium flame. With your other hand use a scissor to cut off the batter that’s being piped from the bag. Each churro should be of around 3 inches in length and don’t crowd while frying.

4. Fry them on a medium flame until golden brown. Don’t let it dark. Remove them from oil and place them on tissue paper.

5. In another bowl, put caster sugar and cinnamon powder (cardamom powder) and mix them well. While the churros are hot, coat them with the sugar mixture and let it cool down completely to room temperature before serving.

You can store them in air tight containers for few days. But I’m really sure it won’t last for next day even as they are so addictive. The crunchy texture and cinnamon flavour will force you to eat more and more.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment