Wednesday, October 08, 2014

" Focaccia "



I don’t know where I saw it first, but the moment I saw it I fell in love with this beautiful Italian bread. May be it was a TV serial or web I don’t remember that but then who cares! It has been 3 yrs since I’ve started baking and my hands itch every time I get to see this bread’s photo. I always wanted to bake this but the only issue was fresh rosemary leaves. Believe me, I crazily searched for rosemary plant everywhere; be it in Delhi, Dehradun and many other places. Each and every nursery which came into my sight, I asked for this plant but with no success. 

Rosemary plant was on top, in my priority list of plants and seeds. I tried to grow it from seeds too but in vain. So when after 3 years I got a chance to visit Bangalore just for a day, for the event of World Kitchen Gardener’s Day on 31st August this year, the only thing in my mind was a Rosemary plant and I really didn’t want to miss this opportunity to get a plant. But because it was on Sunday and all the nurseries were closed I had no choice but to pray to god that my OTG friend Aparna do remember to get me a sapling/cutting for me. She kept her words and I’m really grateful to her for that :) . I brought back this rosemary plant almost like a baby in my hand. Once the plant is home my hands started itching again and my mind argued, NO, the plant is very young, it’s still a cutting. I was like ok let me bake with dried rosemary but then my luck is working now a days :). I got a bunch of rosemary cuttings in a fruit supermarket kind of shop in Solapur [you should’ve seen my face that moment :)]. 

For the recipe I pulled out the book “Artisan breads every day” by Peter Reinhart. Yes, yes Bhai gave me this book last year and I read it with so much enthusiasm but then his elaborate techniques and a lazy chicken like me have nothing in common. I never denied the fact that I’m lazy :P. But now the time has come. For once in my lifetime I had to leave all my laziness and bake this bread. The recipe is fool-proof and flawless. It took me 4days to prepare for it, but this bread was worth every effort. My better half loved the bread and he has become a fan of rosemary :). There are many dried herbs used in this recipe but if you want and if they are available then you can use fresh herbs because nothing beats the aroma and taste of fresh herbs. Use the best extra virgin olive oil and rest assured you won’t be disappointed.

Ingredients

For the bread

All purpose flour – 4 ½ cups 

Instant yeast – 1 ¼ tsp

Olive oil (Extra virgin) – 1 tbsp

Kosher salt – 1 ¾ tsp (I used plain salt)

Chilled water – 2 cups

For herb oil


Olive oil (Extra virgin) – 2 cups

Garlic cloves – 10 crushed

Fresh Rosemary leaves – 1 tbsp

Dried oregano – 1 tbsp

Dried basil – 2 tbsp

Dried parsley – 2 tbsp

Dried thyme – 1 tbsp
Black pepper – ¼ tsp 

Kosher salt – 1 tbsp

Paprika – 1 tsp

Chilli flakes – 1tsp

Method

Do ahead (4days ahead)


1. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, yeast and water. Stir with a spoon and mix them well. The dough should be wet and let it sit for 5 minutes.

2. Now drizzle the olive oil over the dough and mix it well for 1 minute. The dough will now become smoother but still sticky and wet.

3. With a help of spatula or by hands transfer the dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover it with cling wrap and let it sit for another 10 minutes.

4. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled surface and please grease your hands with few drops of oil and then follow the stretch and fold method for say 5 minutes.

5. Now transfer the dough into the bowl, cover it with the cling wrap and let it sit for 10 more minutes.

6. Repeat this entire process (steps 4 & 5) 2 more times.

7. After the final stretch and fold, return the dough to oiled bowl and cover the bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate the dough for 4 days. Remember Do not freeze it.

On baking day


1. Remove the bowl from the refrigerator about 4 hours before you plan to bake. Let it sit at room temperature for 2.5 hours.

2. Now preheat your oven just to warm it up. Since we are not baking it now just keep the temp to the lowest and that also just for few minutes like one or two minutes.

3. Now grease a tray with olive oil or you can use the silicon mat so that the bread doesn’t stick to the tray.

4. Transfer the dough to the tray and start dimpling it with your fingertips to spread so that it should cover 70-80 percent of the pan. 


5. Now drizzle some herb oil over the dough and cover it with cling wrap and put it into the warm oven (make sure the oven is off) and let it sit for 30 minutes (you can cut short this time for 10minutes). Heat the oven just to give right temperature for the dough to rise again. If you live in a warm place, you can skip the oven portion and let the dough rise at room temperature.

6. After 30 minutes, remove the cling wrap, drizzle some more of the olive oil and dimple it again. Make sure the focaccia now cover 80-90 percent of the pan. Then put the cling film back and again put the pan into the oven for further 30 minutes. 




7. Repeat the step 6 one more time. In the final stage, the dough should evenly fill the entire pan. It should be 1 inch thick.

8. After the final resting of last 30 minutes top the focaccia with your choice of toppings, but if you are using the herb oil like I used then there is no need of toppings. If you want to add cheese then make sure you add it in the end so that it doesn’t get burnt in the baking process. Don't worry about the extra oil dripping out of the dough. Your bread will absorb everything.

9. Pre-heat oven at 260 degree Celsius. Place the pan into the oven and bake the focaccia at a lower temperature of 200 degrees for minimum 20 minutes or untill the top of bread turns to golden brown. 


For the herb oil.

Mix all the ingredients I’ve mentioned in a bowl and rest it for minimum 2.5 hours before you use it for any recipe [but then you can always cheat ;)] 




This bread is worth taking every effort. It is a flavourful and aromatic bread and my whole house was smelling like divine while baking. So if you are bread baking enthusiast then this bread is just perfect for you. I made Shakshuka for the perfect combination to be eaten with this bread. That recipe is next on my blog :). One more tip, it tasted best next day :)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. i am making it and hope i see you soon to show the picture... Vrish

    ReplyDelete